Monday, June 19, 2006

A Prairie Home Companion

I read Lake Wobegon Days back when I was in college. There was something about the book that struck a chord with me. (Perhaps because I grew up in the Midwest and was raised Lutheran.)

Last summer, A Prairie Home Companion was broadcast from the Iowa State Fair. My sister bought tickets as a birthday present for me. It was great to see this show that I had listened to for many years performed live.

When I heard that Robert Altman was directing and producing a movie based on the radio show, I was intrigued. The cast is stellar. Surprisingly, the movie lived up to my expectations. It was well-written, completely entertaining and well-directed. I had never been much for the Guy Noir character. But, Kevin Kline's performance of this character was genius. Made me see Guy in a whole other light. Meryl Streep, Lily Tomlin, Woody Harrelson and John C. Reilly did a great job as well.

Not sure if someone unfamiliar with A Prairie Home Companion would enjoy the movie. But, if you are a fan, I would definitely recommend seeing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home