Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Energy Audit

Today I had an energy audit for my home. This is a service offered by Mid-American Energy. They subcontract another company to do the audits and the costs get reimbursed back to them by the State of Iowa. At least that is what I gleaned from my discussion with Jerry the auditor.

My audit was scheduled for noon and Jerry arrived on-time. We went through my house from basement to attic. All my appliances passed with flying colors. My gas dryer is the real energy saver. Gas dryers cost about .03 cents per hour compared to electric which costs .41 cents per hour.

Jerry gave me insulation recommendations for the basement wall and put 6' of free insulation on my hot water pipe. (I need about 10' more and can get at Lowe's.)

In addition to the water pipe insulation, I was also given:
- Low-flow showerhead
- Faucet aerators for bathroom and kitchen
- 6 Compact fluorescent "Greenlite" bulbs

This amounts to $90 worth of free stuff.

Plus, I upgraded my programmable clock thermostat. This cost me $31.30 for the thermostat Jerry installed.

Attic, basement and side wall insulation recommendations were made and documented on several forms. The total estimated cost if I have all the work done is $3,293.

I was given a Homecheck Program Insulation Application so I can receive 70% of the "approved amount" with "a $600 maximum rebate". After some discussion with Jerry, I will probably get the basement and attic insulation done. This will cost me $237.30 after rebates. Taking into account today's energy rates, these improvements will pay for themselves in a little over 2 years.

Right now, the thing that I am marveling over most are the light bulbs. The light is not much different than an incandescent bulb. It gives off 75 watts of light output using only 20 watts of energy. And the bulb has a 9-year guarantee. They cost $12.50 each--I got 6 for free. Pretty cool.

Free stuff, rebates and feeling green. All in all, I would recommend an energy audit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home