Thursday, May 18, 2006

Read this book!

The book is "A Girl Named Zippy" by Haven Kimmel. It's on loan to me for two weeks. But, I can't put it down and it will go back to it's owner in less time than that. The back of the cover promises that the book "offers a rare and welcome treat: a memoir of a happy childhood." It delivers on this and not in a sappy "Father Knows Best" kind of way.

It's written from the perspective of a child born in 1965. Basically the era I grew up in.

Here's an excerpt that I felt compelled to read to my doctor the other day.

"I knew from Marcus Welby, M.D., that this could and did sometimes happen, that bad news was followed by more and more bad news, until finally the doctor was telling you that you had to give up coffee, which I knew for a fact would have killed my dad."

http://www.havenkimmel.com/

2 Comments:

At 5:22 PM , Blogger Hillbilly Mom said...

I have this book. Love it. You must also read the sequel: She Got Up Off the Couch. The tale of rats in plastic trash bags is my favorite part.

 
At 9:01 PM , Blogger Susan said...

This gives me an excuse to get myself over to the new Central Library in Des Moines to get a library card and check out this book. Or, I can order it on Amazon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home