Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Waveland

Last weekend I had the pleasure of hosting four friends from Altanta. They are all people I knew when I lived in Georgia. Two currently live in Atlanta, one moved to Dallas and another is working in Zimbabwe.

The friend who works in Zimbabwe stayed at my house. So, Saturday morning when we were all doing our own thing, Stacie and I ran errands (she became the designated mail-drop person for co-workers who knew she was making a visit home) and ate breakfast at the Waveland Cafe.

The Waveland is one of the first places I noticed as I was scouting neighborhoods while house-hunting last summer. It is a wonderful short-order breakfast type of place 2 blocks from my home. And as far from a chain restaurant as you can get. In addition to gazing at the interesting murals painted on the walls, you can drink coffee from a cup that is inscribed with "Honey, I'm steaming hot and bottomless". I like to sit on the stools at the counter, which is good because there is usually never a wait as there is for a table.

What I like best about the Waveland is that it is the kind of place you can bring a book, order breakfast, read, drink coffee, and eat breakfast. The waitresses are friendly and there is always good music blasting in the kitchen. This morning it was the Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sence". I've also been there when Nirvana and jazz have been played--separate occasions. I've never been disappointed in the music and wonder if I were to compare my CD collection with the cook's, would they be similar?

I think I will make a tradition of taking people who come to visit me to The Waveland. Afterall, they serve breakfast any time of day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home