Sunday, July 30, 2006

Clerks 2: I'd see it again

Considering it's been nearly a month since my last entry, writing about "Clerks II" seems oddly appropriate.

Admittedly, I twisted my friend Chris' arm to see this one. A sequel about some slackers made 12 years after the first "Clerks" movie...I don't fault his reluctance.

(My first movie choice was "Strangers With Candy", but he had already seen it. The movie I REALLY wanted to see--Little Miss Sunshine--is in limited release, which means it's not showing in Des Moines. I will probably have to wait for it to be released on DVD.)

As we sat through movie trailers--aimed at teens and 20-somethings--I was questioning my choice. However, a quick perusal of the theater audience confirmed that it was dominated by people over 30.

I was immediately hooked with the opening background music--The Talking Heads' "Nothing But Flowers". What proceeded was a fun, silly, and sophomoric movie for people over 30.

In "Clerks 2" we find Dante and Randall working at Mooby's--a fast-food restaurant--after the convenience store where they work burned. Jay and Silent Bob are back from rehab and have relocated to hanging out outside of Mooby's. Jay is sporting a "Got Jesus" t-shirt--but not much has changed about him. And despite their stint at rehab, they are still selling dope--just not using it.

There is actually a plot line, but I'll let you find out if you go see the movie.

Overall, I liked the movie, but was disappointed in the donkey scene. It was quite rude, and not very funny. Chris and I agreed that it seemed like Kevin Smith was trying too hard in a lame attempt to offend in a South Park kind of way. If it had been side-splitting funny, well, then it would have been acceptable. But, it wasn't and dragged on too long.

Would I recommend seeing "Clerks 2"? Do you like Kevin Smith movies? If so, yes. It was a surprisingly relevant sequel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home