Wednesday, June 25, 2008

More

We are having another storm tonight with flash flood warnings. I read the weather forcast earlier today for strong winds, rain and hail.

The 500-year level of flood waters fell pretty fast (about a week). So, Hwy 6 in Coralville was open last night. I was invited to have cake in Coralville for Oliver who turned 5. My first time venturing outside my little part of the universe on the Northeast side of Iowa City.

As I drove down Hwy 6 through what used to be the vibrant Coralville strip, it really hit me. Looking at these vacated businesses--restaurants, hotels, strip malls, small businesses with large FULL dumpsters outside and no other signs of activity. When I drove back at 9:30 PM, it was completely dark. This was the part of town that was always lit, always active. Words really cannot describe.

Cedar Rapids is the same on a much larger scale. I read in the newspaper that half the homes that were flooded will need to be demolished.

Just unreal, but it is real.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home